The Muppets had an extensive presence in movies and television before their relationship with Disney. After some small appearances in Sesame Street they were given their own show. Their films include The Muppet Movie (1979), The Great Muppet Caper (1981), and The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984), The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992), Muppet Treasure Island (1996), Muppets from Space (1999), The Muppets (2011) and Muppets Most Wanted (2014).
There are many opportunities to interact with the Muppets at Disney World. In Hollywood Studios, guests can visit Muppet Vision 3D, a combination live action and theater attraction, located in Muppet Courtyard. Guests can then grab a bite to eat at the new restaurant run by Rizzo the rat, PizzeRizzo.
A new Muppet experience is available in the Magic Kingdom in Liberty Square. Great Moments in American History is the Muppet take on the Revolutionary War.
- Muppet Art Show: An exhibition of Muppet themed art by 10 Disney Fine artists. Saturday June 24-Sunday July 23. Art on 5th 3005 South Lamar Suite C 110 B Austin, 78704
Image: Loren Javier in Flickr Creative Commons
The Pirates of the Caribbean series now contains 5 films: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Dead Man’s Chest, At World’s End, On Stranger Tides, and Dead Men Tell No Tales. The films follow the adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow with appearances by Will Turner, Elizabeth Swann, and Captain Barbossa.
The films are based on the Pirates of the Caribbean rides in both Disney World and Disneyland, in Adventureland and New Orleans Square respectively. Due to the popularity of the films and the classic rides, many pirate themed experiences are available to Disney guests.
Tortuga Tavern is a pirate themed restaurant also located in Adventureland.
During certain special party events, guests at the Magic Kingdom have the chance to meet Captain Jack Sparrow himself. He will give you his autograph and take photos with you! He also makes an appearance several times a day at Captain Jack’s Pirate Tutorial, located across from the ride.
Visitors can make reservations to be transformed at The Pirates League. Many makeover packages are available, including empress and mermaid.
Disney has only recently added The Pirate’s Adventure: Treasures of the Seven Seas, an interactive treasure hunt through Adventureland. Guests receive a map, and using the clues provided, hunt through Adventureland occasionally triggering traps and secret messages.
- Texas Pirate Festival: Although located outside of Austin, the Pirate Festival is worth the drive! There will be live music, great food and crafts for sale. July 8-9 at the Middlefaire Village in Hillsboro, TX
Ratatouille, released in 2007, is the 8th film collaboration between Disney and Pixar. This is the story of Remy the rat, who loves to cook, and his work with human busboy Linguini in Gusteau’s Restaurant. Guests visiting Epcot can eat at Les Chefs de France and may see Remy himself as he visits from table to table.
Visitors to Disneyland Paris can experience Ratatouille: The Adventure, a dark ride based on the film.
- French Legation Museum: Austin’s Oldest Home and former residence of French diplomat Alphonse Dubois. Open for tours and special events and currently maintained by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. 802 San Marcos Street Austin, TX 78702
- Blue Baker Tour: Get a behind the scenes look at what it takes to be a baker! Includes a factory tour and hands on instruction. 10000 Research Blvd., Austin 78759
- Wine and Cheese Art Festival: Features local artists, live music, food and drinks. *FREE* Saturday, June 17th 6-8:30 pm. 302 Bagdad, Bldg 2, Round Rock, Texas
Image: Cedric in Flickr Creative Commons
Dumbo, released in 1941, was the 4th animated film from Walt Disney Studios. This is the story of how Dumbo can learn to fly with his giant ears, and his relationship with his mother Mrs. Jumbo and friend Timothy Mouse.
Guests to Disney parks can ride Dumbo the Flying Elephant.
- Circus 1903: A circus spectacular with puppets! At the Long Center June 6-8. 701 W. Riverside Dr., Austin TX
- Take a trapeze class at the Circus of Hope: 13317 Fitzhugh Rd., Austin TX 78737
- Visit the Big Top Candy Shop for a small taste of the circus, plus some amazing candy! 1706 South Congress, Austin TX
- Pin the feather on Dumbo’s trunk, Pin Timothy on Dumbo’s hat
Family Circus (each family member has to perform a trick or act,
don’t forget a Ring Leader! Maybe you can train your dog or cat
to jump through a hoop!)living room circus (sit & spin, painters tape “tight rope” on the floor, hula hoop “rings” for dancing & “clowning” around)
- Dumbo Papercraft
- Dumbo Coloring Page
- Dumbo Felt Ears
Cover Image: By Hoifosuhetaizhu (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)%5D, via Wikimedia Commons
Based on the 1865 novel by Lewis Carroll (Charles Dodgson), the 1951 film Alice in Wonderland shows young Alice as she follows the white rabbit through Wonderland and encounters many nonsense creatures and situations.
Visitors to the Magic Kingdom can ride teacups at the Mad Tea Party in both Disneyland and Disney World. Disneyland also has the dark ride Alice in Wonderland that follows the story line from the film.
Characters like the White Rabbit, Mad Hatter, Alice and the Red Queen meet near the Mad tea Party ride. The Mad Hatter is also available to meet at 1900 Park Fare, a character breakfast in the Grand Floridian Resort.
- Tea sandwiches
- Drink Me Juice: tape signs on juice boxes that say “Drink Me”
- Cookies: break and bake sugar cookies, use gel frosting to write “Eat
- Cheshire cat smiles (slices of melon)
- Mini Raspberry Cinnamon Treats
- Queen of Hearts’ Tarts
- Very Merry Unbirthday cake!
Image: By Walt Disney (Original Trailer (1951)) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Tangled, based on the story of Rapunzel and her golden hair, has the honor of being the 50th Disney animated feature. This is the story of Rapunzel’s kidnapping as a baby and subsequent imprisonment in her tower by Mother Gothel. Disney’s version of Rapunzel is loosely based on the tale by the Brothers Grimm. Rapunzel is discovered by dashing thief Flynn Rider and they leave her tower to search for the floating lanterns on Rapunzel’s birthday.
Guests are able to meet Rapunzel in Fairytale Hall, and see Rapunzel, Flynn Rider, and the Snuggly Duckling Gang in the daily Festival of Fantasy Parade at the Magic Kingdom.
- Austin Lantern Festival: Before sundown guests can enjoy food, music, and a festival atmosphere. At sundown, guests will send their lanterns into the sky just as Rapunzel and Flynn did in Tangled. Saturday, Sep 30, 2017, 3:00pm at Cotton Bowl Speedway 1175 Co Rd 202 Paige, Texas 78659
Image: Luis Brizzante in Flickr Creative Commons
May the Fourth be with you! Star Wars is an iconic franchise, and is now a deeply ingrained part of Disney Parks. Star Wars Land is currently being built in both Disneyland and Disney World, Hollywood Studios.
In Hollywood Studios, guests can visit Star Wars Launch Bay for character interactions, shopping and browsing movie props.
Additionally, there are multiple Stormtrooper marches throughout the park and a stage show.
- Visit the Windsor Park Branch of the Austin Public Library for Revenge of the Fifth! There will be a costume contest, snacks, trivia, games, prizes and so much more! Friday May 5th from 6-8;30 pm. Windsor Park Branch: 5833 Westminster Dr.