Based on the 1865 novel by Lewis Carroll (Charles Dodgson), the 1951 film Alice in Wonderland shows young Alice as she follows the white rabbit through Wonderland and encounters many nonsense creatures and situations.
Visitors to the Magic Kingdom can ride teacups at the Mad Tea Party in both Disneyland and Disney World. Disneyland also has the dark ride Alice in Wonderland that follows the story line from the film.
Characters like the White Rabbit, Mad Hatter, Alice and the Red Queen meet near the Mad tea Party ride. The Mad Hatter is also available to meet at 1900 Park Fare, a character breakfast in the Grand Floridian Resort.
- Tea sandwiches
- Drink Me Juice: tape signs on juice boxes that say “Drink Me”
- Cookies: break and bake sugar cookies, use gel frosting to write “Eat
- Cheshire cat smiles (slices of melon)
- Mini Raspberry Cinnamon Treats
- Queen of Hearts’ Tarts
- Very Merry Unbirthday cake!
Image: By Walt Disney (Original Trailer (1951)) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Tangled, based on the story of Rapunzel and her golden hair, has the honor of being the 50th Disney animated feature. This is the story of Rapunzel’s kidnapping as a baby and subsequent imprisonment in her tower by Mother Gothel. Disney’s version of Rapunzel is loosely based on the tale by the Brothers Grimm. Rapunzel is discovered by dashing thief Flynn Rider and they leave her tower to search for the floating lanterns on Rapunzel’s birthday.
Guests are able to meet Rapunzel in Fairytale Hall, and see Rapunzel, Flynn Rider, and the Snuggly Duckling Gang in the daily Festival of Fantasy Parade at the Magic Kingdom.
- Disney on Ice Dream Big Princess! This show features multiple princesses including Rapunzel as they follow their dreams! Located at the HEB Cedar Park Center from May 10-14, 2017.
Image: Luis Brizzante in Flickr Creative Commons
May the Fourth be with you! Star Wars is an iconic franchise, and is now a deeply ingrained part of Disney Parks. Star Wars Land is currently being built in both Disneyland and Disney World, Hollywood Studios.
In Hollywood Studios, guests can visit Star Wars Launch Bay for character interactions, shopping and browsing movie props.
Additionally, there are multiple Stormtrooper marches throughout the park and a stage show.
- Visit the Windsor Park Branch of the Austin Public Library for Revenge of the Fifth! There will be a costume contest, snacks, trivia, games, prizes and so much more! Friday May 5th from 6-8;30 pm. Windsor Park Branch: 5833 Westminster Dr.
- Make Space art: Fill a spray bottle with diluted white paint and spray on black construction paper. Pour colored paint into paper plates, then dip a balloon (blown up and tied) in the paint. Make “planets” by pressing the painted end of the balloon on the space paper.
- Make a pool noodle Lightsaber
- AT-ST Marionette
- Asteroid Hunt: Wrap treasures in foil and hide. Kids go on a treasure hunt to find them.
- Galaxy Maze
- Admiral Ackbar Puppet
- Pin the light saber on Yoda
- Star Wars Bingo
- R2D2 and C3PO Coloring Page
Darby O’Gill and the Little People was released in 1959 and is based on 2 books by Herminie Templeton Kavanagh : Darby O’Gill and the Good People and The Ashes of Old Wishes And Other Darby O’Gill Tales. While the movie has no specific presence in Disney Parks, guest can see a glimpse of Ireland in the classic ride It’s a Small World located in both Disneyland and Disney World: The Magic Kingdom.
- Rainbow Roll-ups: Steak rolled up with provolone and spinach
- Corned Beef Brisket
- Pot O’ Gold Biscuits
- Rainbow fruit plate
- Emerald Isle Pie: Mint Chocolate Chip Pie
- Shamrock Drop Cookies
- St. Patrick’s Day Celebration: A celebration of all things Irish with music, dancing, and Irish culture. Friday March 17th, 1pm-8pm at Pioneer Farms. 10621 Pioneer Farms Dr., Austin, 78754
- Irish Dance Center: Offers lessons for all ages and skill level. Also offers a free trial lesson and summer camps for kids! 12400 Amherst Dr. Suite 112, Austin, 78727
- Gaelic League of Austin: Offers language lessons in Gaelic at varying skill levels.
- Things Celtic: Located in central Austin, Things Celtic has jewelry, kilts and accessories for all. 1806 W. 35th Street Austin, 78703
Image: Reynold Brown [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Based on the children’s novels by P.L. Travers, Mary Poppins was released by Disney in 1964 with a sequel expected to be released in 2018. Mary Poppins, a nanny, livens up the Banks’ household with her imagination and adventure, leaving it a happier place. The creation of the film and often difficult relationship between Walt Disney and P.L. Travers was showcased in the film Saving Mr. Banks. Mary Poppins, Bert, and often a penguin friend have meet and greets in the Magic Kingdom on main street in both Disney Parks. Mary also meets in Epcot United Kingdom Pavilion in the English gardens.
- English tea and crumpets (with a spoonful of sugar if you like)
- Uncle Albert’s light-as-a-feather finger sandwiches
- Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious cake
- Go fly a kite at the Zilker Kite Festival, held March 5th from 10am-5pm in Zilker Park: 2100 Barton Springs, Austin FREE
Image: By Disney-Grandpa http://www.flickr.com/photos/8674970@N04/ modified by Dr. Disney Wizard http://www.flickr.com/photos/disneywizard/ [CC BY-SA 3.0 us (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/deed.en) or CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)%5D, via Wikimedia Commons
Released in 2009, Princess and the Frog celebrates the magic and mystery of New Orleans and features the first African American Disney princess. Based on the novel The Frog Princess by E.D. Baker, the film follows a waitress named Tiana who attempts to turn former prince Naveen human again, but is unfortunately turned into a frog herself. In Disney parks, guests can meet both Tiana and Naveen as well as see them in the daily parade.
- A Taste of Mardi Gras: Music, Food and fun at Austin’s Patterson Park on Sunday, February 26th at 1 pm. 4200 Brookview Rd, Austin 78722
- Cirque du Mardi Gras: A celebration of all things Mardi Gras with live music and amazing trapeze acts. February 28th, 8pm at The Belmont: 305 West 6th St. Austin, 78701
Image: By Jennifer Lynn (Princess Garden, Festival of Fantasy Parade) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)%5D, via Wikimedia Commons
Toy Story was the first full length computer animated film released by Pixar, in 1995. The original film was followed by 2 sequels and multiple short films. In both Disney California Adventure and Disney World Hollywood Studios, guests can ride Toy Story Midway Mania, a 4-D carnival game. Characters like Buzz, Wood, Jessie and the Army Men are available for meet and greets in both parks. Currently, Toy Story Land is under construction in Hollywood Studios (Disney World) and , opening sometime in the next 2-3 years.
- Pixar in Concert: The Austin Symphony will be presenting a Pixar concert at the Long Center, February 17th 2017 featuring music and images from their most popular Pixar films. 701 W. Riverside Dr., Austin 78704
- Toy Joy
Image: By SolarSurfer (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons